Jen's Reviews > The Callahan Chronicals

The Callahan Chronicals by Spider Robinson

Jan 13, 10

Read in January, 2010

Oh, the humanity!
While listening to this, I sort of forgot for long stretches that I was listening to a sci-fi story; it's way more about interactions and acceptance than any sci-fi I've ever come across. Callahan's Bar, the setting for every story, never gets old and never gets tiring. It is peopled with aliens, time travellers, telepaths...and people. I was amazed at how some of the stories sucked me in totally, made me laugh (and groan at the sheer audacity and amount of terrible, terrible puns!), made me stand still and really, really listen and feel with these characters. I loved it and plan on looking for other Robinson titles.
If you plan on listening to the book on CD (especially if you get the Blackstone Audio version), the very last disc isn't that important. It's a note from the mid-90s about fanfics and the birth of Internet communities; about the only truly worthwhile part is the end of track 9 and beginning of track 10 when the narrator (Barrett something) sings one of Robinson's ridiculous songs...and he has one nice voice, really.
Recommended for sci-fi fans, people fans, drinking fans, and electric fans. (See what it does to you?)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Callahan Chronicals.