Deanna's Reviews > The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy

Nov 13, 09

bookshelves: library-copy, contemporary-fiction
Read in November, 2009

Review also at Mom-Musings

The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy was a delightful story that kept me entertained throughout the entire read. This contemporary twist on Pride and Prejudice was quite enjoyable.

Elizabeth and her sister Jane were portrayed as smart professional women who were independent yet still yearned for romance and love. The relationship between the sisters was strong just as portrayed in Pride and Prejudice but there is an additional friend in Elizabeth’s life that added a nice depth. Lou, Elizabeth’s gay friend, was a terrific friendship for the story. Lou added a new dimension to the story with his advice and humor. He was a hoot.

As in Pride and Prejudice, it was not love at first sight for Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy (who goes by Will or Judge Darcy). Their relationship starts off bumpy as wonderful dynamics spark between them. I loved this version of Mr.Darcy, dare I say, even more than the original. Let me not forget Elizabeth, I believe she endeared herself to me more so than the original version as well. Ha…do not let those statements fool you though, I still love Pride & Prejudice but I found that this contemporary version did do a fabulous job of continuing the intense and passionate personalities of Elizabeth and Darcy.

The environment that brought Elizabeth ad Darcy together was great. I really enjoyed the whole courtroom-lawyer premise as it added a great dimension. The combination of their professional and personal environments lent itself wonderfully to their interactions for which I greatly enjoyed. While the story followed the framework of Pride and Prejudice there was enough difference that gave The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy its own voice, its own story. There was freshness to the story so it did not feel like a re-read of Pride and Prejudice.

This contemporary take of Pride and Prejudice worked for my reading mind. The modernization of language (including foul words) and the shagging (as Will puts it) flowed well with the story. I enjoyed the change-ups and twists.

The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy was a delightful and enjoyable read with romance, humor, misunderstandings, passion and chemistry.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy.

Heather This one has been on my list for a bit now and your review is great so I will move it higher! I have about 50 pages left in the original P&P so I will be on to retellings and sequels soon!!!!!