Patty's Reviews > The Blessing Way

The Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman

F 50x66
Nov 11, 2009

Read in November, 2009

I've had several people tell me that if I like Craig Johnson I should try Tony Hillerman. Well, I *love* Craig Johnson so decided to take their advice and try Hillerman. I'm glad I did.

I think this first book, written in 1970 is a little rough around the edges but I see why people compare Craig to Tony. To me it is all about the people, the relationships and the character development. I've read reviews over the years talking about Joe Leaphorn and can see in this book the start of a great character, I also see that for a first book that character has a way to go to develop into a great character. I'm glad I found it after people were comparing it to Craig Johnson because I don't know if I would have kept going without that comparison. Craig's Walt Longmire was stronger in the first book than Joe is in this first book, but then Craig had the advantage of reading years and years of Tony to help lead the way.

I'm not saying that these books are the same, they are very different, but there is a feeling to them that allows me to see why people compare them. I'll be going on to the next books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blessing Way.