Saxon's Reviews > Hotel Theory

Dec 30, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: theory-n-shit
Read in December, 2009

Wow, what a strange fucking book. Before you even read page one, you're forced to figure out HOW to read it. Each page has two running columns in different text. One column (Hotel Theory) is a loose, philosophical delve into Hotel-being. To do this Koestenbaum pulls at will from a wide variety of western-culture that includes but is not limited to Chopin, Walter Benjamin, Joan Didion and even something as campy as a Julia Stiles film. Along to way Koestenbaum attempts to expose the various aspects of Hotel existence. Overall, this section is fascinating, allusive and at moments brilliant.

On the other column is a a self-described "dime-store novel" featuring Liberance and Lana Turner called Hotel Women. Oh, and Koestenbaum decides to completely omit the articles "a", "an", and "the" from the entire novel. Why? Well, I assume it has something to do with introspection and vanity. He also might just want to be annoying. Hotel Women is pretty shallow in that eerie, existential way that includes a lot of nudity, suntanning and clever word play.

For the most part these two texts don't directly interact from what I can tell. Although they do seem to fit well together. I applaud Koestenbaum for pushing the boundaries on conventionality but one has to wonder if this book would have ever been published if Koestenbaum was not a successful art-critic who has published numerous books before this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hotel Theory.

message 1: by D (new)

D Derrida did a similar thing with Glas.

Saxon I imagine that the two text interconnect probably a lot more than these do in Glas...maybe not though...oh Jacques.