Nancy's Reviews > The Wives of Henry Oades

The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran

1956252
Dec 09, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, new-zealand, victorian-america, 19th-century, first-reads
Read in December, 2009

Another Firstreads win! I'm going to have to unplug my TV. The plot of this book really intrigues me.

This is a great read—fast moving and with characters you care about who come alive on the pages. I couldn’t wait to get to the finish line to see how Henry’s ‘2-wife’ problem was going to be resolved. Along the way I gathered interesting historical information about New Zealand and California in the late 1800’s. I didn’t know Maori’s were cannibals—a human roast was called a ‘long pig.’ Ironically the ‘civilized’ people of Berkley treated the Oades family just as cruelly as the wild Maori Indians of New Zealand.

What struck me as most surprising however was how accepting the two wives were of each other. They both loved the same man but they understood the predicament of the other. It’s interesting how friendship and concern for their children overcame jealousy—a lesson to be learned in whatever relationships in which one might become involved.

The author took facts obtained from an old court case and wove a story that not only brought this period in history to life but thoroughly entertained as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wives of Henry Oades.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Johanna (new) - added it

Johanna Moran Fantastic, Nancy! You'll see I named a main character after you. ~ Johanna Moran

Nancy Thanks Johanna

I just finished your book and enjoyed it thoroughly--see my review on Goodreads. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. In any event, keep writing!

Nancy DC

message 3: by Johanna (new) - added it

Johanna Moran Nancy, thanks so much for your thoughtful review. A hug to you ~ Johanna