Patrick's Reviews > The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to The Sports Guy

The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons

M_50x66
Nov 08, 09

You need to have your YouTube page up and running when you're reading this so you can check out all the references Simmons makes. From the Hawks celebrating when Larry Bird makes an impossible shot against them to Gabe Kaplan in Battle of the Network Stars, you'll be marveling at the twin towers of sports and pop culture that Simmons knows so very, very well.

Simmons entertains and instructs like no other sports columnist today. Whether making pronouncements or asides, raising or settling arguments, the guy knows his stuff from having immersed himself so deeply in it since he was a kid. He also appreciates the game's history - nice to see names like Dolph Schayes and Bob Pettit no longer being footnotes.

Speaking of which, this book has some of the best footnotes this side of David Foster Wallace. I loved the explanations of the Tipping Point Friend and the Tony LaRussa All-Stars (pages 258 and 352 - you're welcome). And I laughed out loud reading this book a lot more than I expected from a basketball. No, check that - a lot more than I would have expected if it wasn't written by Bill Simmons.

One caveat: the book could have used some closer editing. There are typos in here, and on page 450 a footnote tells us that Wilt played four games against Wilt. Still, I didn't think it was worth docking this book a star for something that'll probably be fixed by the second edition. Which'll make my first edition all the more valuable. As Marv Albert would say - Yes!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Basketball.