Julia's Reviews > Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman

Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer

Jan 01, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, best-book-i-read-in-2009
Read in November, 2009

This is at once a biography of Pat Tillman, a history of Afghanistan, the Taliban (they originally formed to stop bandits from shaking down the populace at checkpoints) and the cover up of Tillman’s fratricide.

Having read and been very impressed with Krakauer’s Under the Banner of Heaven, I was expecting – and got— a complex story. As a non-football fan, I don’t know the difference (or if there is one) between a sack and a tackle or a fullback, a free safety and a linebacker. But who Tillman was is only partially a superlative football player: he was a thoughtful, curious, sincere, fun-loving man. On his off- season time away from football he ran marathons and triathlons, read Chomsky and did graduate work in history. Tillman “stubbornly insisted on doing the right thing” which Krakauer calls his tragic virtue. I am glad to have read this book, which is a biography of an honorable man, an indictment of the war and the men who are conducting it, and a celebration of the good men and women waging it.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Men Win Glory.