(NS) Panagiota Angelos's Reviews > Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport

Nov 08, 2009

bookshelves: informational-biographies

DVD- Non-print
Martin’s Big Words DVD features the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The video begins with moving gospel music in the background, which plays throughout video. The narrator has a deep captivating voice and takes the viewer through the life of Martin Luther King. The story begins when Martin is a young boy and his view of the world. He questions and is very observant on how people are treated. The video continues focusing on his life events that lead up until his death. He was shot in Memphis 1968 where he went to help garbage collectors who were on strike. His messages of peace, love, and freedom are clearly expressed in this video. The movie zooms in and out of pictures (from the picture book) eluding to having the feeling of movement. Every now and again, famous quotes flashed on the screen and had a dramatic effect. The video also uses Dr. King’s voice from his famous ‘I have a Dream’ speech. “His big words are alive for us today.”

The DVD is recommended for students in primary elementary grades. The video is about 9 minutes and every minute is captivating. I highly recommend this DVD produced by Scholastic. The narrator does an excellent job of capturing the listener from the start. After viewing the DVD, I read the book and found the DVD to be more powerful and intense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Martin's Big Words.

05/22/2016 marked as: read