Terry's Reviews > Lockdown

Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith

Dec 31, 09

bookshelves: guy-books, brought-to-rhs-library
Read in December, 2009

Picked this up based on the cover art, the James Patterson blurb, and a hope that I can discover something for teen guys to read once they've exhausted Darren Shan and Anthony Horowitz. On the plus side, the cover is appealing for this serviceable prison-break story. Alex is an acceptable hero, who is both a petty criminal and noble when it counts. There are a few Frankenstein-esque monsters, some classic gross-out scenes, and once the action gets going - about 150 pages in - the plot is propulsive.

The writing was easy to follow, but took a long time to gear up after the strong opening. Of course, I felt the same way about Lord Loss, and readers gobble that up, so perhaps Smith is onto something and I'm just not in sync with the audience. I certainly didn't get much sense of character development, and Smith's last-minute interjection of 'what-does-freedom-really-mean' sounded flimsy.

Although there's violence and horror on a par with the books I've already cited, the absence of sex, drug use, and profanity makes this a good choice for a wide range of ages. While I didn't love it, I'll probably pick up the sequels, just to see how they turn out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lockdown.