Rebecca's Reviews > Bruno, Chief Of Police

Bruno, Chief Of Police by Martin Walker

Nov 08, 09

bookshelves: mysteries-adventure
Read in November, 2009

I enjoyed the descriptions of France and food, and found the history of the Vichy government very interesting. In 4 years of French in high school, we never talked about what it was like in France in World War II. The story here was good and three-dimensional. The characters and the community were remarkably two-dimensional. They demonstrated that Walker loves France and wants to show its best side, which is nice, but they are unrealistic. The hero is perfect in every way, and that makes him unbelievable and undesirable except to 13-year old girls and other idealists. I hadn't realized until now that middle-aged men are like 13-year old girls in that sense, but I was naive. I understand the urge to make the main character, the alter ego, flawless, but it makes for a surface-oriented book. A character's flaws are portals that allow readers (mere mortals) to relate to the character and explore life with him/her. I certainly can't relate to Bruno.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bruno, Chief Of Police.