Leslie's Reviews > How to Sleep Alone in a King-Size Bed: A Memoir of Starting Over

How to Sleep Alone in a King-Size Bed by Theo Pauline Nestor

Nov 08, 09

bookshelves: memoirs
Read in November, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I enjoyed this book. The beginning scene where the author, a happily married wife--she thinks, puts the chicken in the oven to roast and by the time the chicken is done and she takes it out of the overn, she's found out that her husband is back to lying and compulsive gambling, kicked him out of the house, and ended her marriage. I like how she uses the chicken baking as the measuremnet of time, not days, hours, or minutes.
Nestor does a very good job weaving the past and the present of her marriage, and the past and present of her life into a cohesive whole. I found it very easy to read and enjoyable.

I do have a problem with this book--and many, many, many other "I got divoced and had to start a new life memoir"--is there ever any other happy ending than one that includes the new boyfriend or husband? One? Even one?
It really bugs me. A woman can end the marriage or have it taken from her, it can be a complete surprise or something that's been looming on the horizon for years, it can be a tragedy or a relief, but it seems that the book can't end until the new man enters the picture. Then we can have the happy ending we've all been pining for--now we can sigh a sigh of relief and know that all will be right with the world once more.
I disagree. And the title of this book brings the subject into even sharper focus. She slept alone in that king-sized bed less than a year. Nobody wants to be alone, I know, but why can't some of these post-divorce memoirs have happy endings sans new partner? It can happen. It is possible. A woman can find out what it means to live for herself, with herself, and find out who she is without another person to live for. A guy too.
One of my pet peeves I guess, but a valid one--in my not at all humble opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Sleep Alone in a King-Size Bed.