Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > The Tomorrow Code

The Tomorrow Code by Brian Falkner

Apr 05, 10

bookshelves: sci-fi, mystery, ya-fiction, thriller-suspense
Read from March 29 to April 05, 2010 — I own a copy

This is a hard one to review. It starts off like a typical YA novel: two friends who don't fit in with anyone besides each other. The guy (Tane) has the hots for the girl (Rebecca) but is to afraid to admit it, and they lie in the middle of a makeshift lake pondering the possibility of time travel. Okay, maybe not exactly like your typical YA novel. But it becomes a really engaging and frightening, almost Stephen King and Michael Chrichton-esque, vision of the apocalypse.

Falkner really researched and thought this one out, there is no falling back on the simple and cliche apocalypses everyone has seen (zombies, earthquakes, volcanoes, aliens, etc) but a truly original vision of the Earth's demise. While in the beginning, the physics talk of "quantum foam" and gamma rays that transmit messages from the future back to the present, really left me baffled, i never felt talked down to.

Then there is the actual "creatures," for there are creatures that bring upon the destruction of our world, and its really disturbing in its implications. At first i was nervous that the book was becoming preachy about global warming and pollution and all that stuff, but it really walks a fine line between conveying a message and using that message to thrill readers.

I feel like i need to mention the New Zealand religion that is really important in the last half of the book. I'm not in any way shooting down these particular religious ideas, or any of that, (Faulkner himself is from New Zealand) but i found any time a character discussed anything to do with it, i was totally left in the dark. Partly due to the words that i had NO idea how to pronounce. Like: Kenehi Tuarua , Waewaetoroa , oh and Kaitiakitanga . I know what they are is described, if haphazardly, in the book itself, i just felt completely lost when it was brought up. And it just got worse in the end when, as I mentioned, it becomes an important part of the story. I found myself simply skipping over these words, and in turn being confused as to certain character's actions and motivations.

But i still give it a recommendation to anyone looking for a refreshing vision of the end of the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tomorrow Code.

03/30/2010 page 23
04/05/2010 page 210
49.65% "killer fog? lets hope this gets a bit more original in the coming pages."
show 4 hidden updates…