Lore's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

did not like it
bookshelves: harrypotter
Recommended for: no one
Read in June, 2007

Deathly Hallows is in fierce competition with Half-Blood Prince as the worst book of the series. It is an extremely bloated book in which nothing much happens for chapters upon chapters because Rowling is dragging the storyline out -- so it can end at the end of the school year, like all the other books. Many plotlines of previous books are barely touched upon (S.P.E.W.) or "resolved" in an entirely dissatisfactory manner (Grawp, though I wasn't unhappy about not seeing more of him).

Characters who were hyped in interviews but turned out to be of little importance include Ginny Weasley, who winds up doing absolutely nothing of relevance throughout the whole book, whereas she was annoyingly and tediously present (and acting like a complete jerk) in Half-Blood Prince. Despite my dislike of this character, I had expected to see much more of her, and I was disappointed to see her true purpose was bearing Harry Potter's childrens in one of the, if not the, least believable "romances" of the series.

The book, and the series, then end with a cloying epilogue which tells us little about things that actually matter and instead focuses on who marries who, complete with precocious children (who are naturally of similar ages; so considerate of everyone to get pregnant at the same time!) and insipid names (Albus Severus, but no child named after Ginny's dead brother?). I like to pretend this epilogue, or "crapilogue" as disappointed fans have dubbed it, doesn't exist, and that the series officially ends after Harry kills Voldemort. Leaves much more to the imagination and is much more of a fitting end.

My expectations prior to the release were faily high. That turned out to be a mistake. I won't be rereading this installment any time soon, possibly not ever again.

08/25/2016 marked as: read

Greenly J I totally agree with you. I thought I was the only one who did not see the romance in the Ginny/Harry scenario. (See mom I am not crazy after all). I also will not be rereading it. The only thing that bugs me is how sad I got after the book was done. After years of reading the series, it feels more like a part of life not a hobby. Hmm. Great review.

Adam van der Zwan Wow..I really hate you.

message 3: by Cat (last edited Aug 25, 2011 12:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cat Wow....HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THE ROMANCE BETWEEN HARRY AND GINNY? SHE'S BEEN GIVING HINTS SINCE BOOK 1 !!!!!! EVEN I CAN SEE IT AND IM A HARRY/HERMIONE FAN !!!!Anyway nobody forced you to read this book, if you didnt like it why did you finish it? jerk !

Isabelle Just one thing- I love the name Albus Severus and the reason they didn't name a child Fred was because George had a boy named Fred.

Lily fail. no argument, obvs didnt really read the book

message 6: by R (new) - rated it 2 stars

R I can't believe the idiot who called you a jerk. “If you don't like it why read it?” How are you supposed to know you don't like it unless you read it. God , what an idiot! I agree with your review by the way , the "romance" between Ginny and Harry , the plot holes , this book was a great disappointment for me.

Carrie Twihard alert...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry buddy but if you hate this book you have no taste in good books

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

to Faith: If it was a disappointment to you maybe you read it wrong.

Carrie Ayman wrote: "I loved the introduction of your review 'competing with half-blood prince in terms of which is worse' = made me lol because it is so true!

I won't add more.. spot-on review."

Please explain in civilsed terms why this novel is so "terrible".

message 11: by R (last edited Feb 10, 2013 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

R Anya wrote: "to Faith: If it was a disappointment to you maybe you read it wrong."

I read it wrong? What , did I read it upside down or whilst hopping on one foot? Everyone has different opinions on things guys , deal with it.

Plus , if you would like to know why I was disappointed by it you can just read my review of the book .

Quinton Hoover I totally agree. This book is rubbish.

Katie Burleson R u trying to b funny?.....

message 14: by Carrie (last edited Apr 27, 2013 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carrie Quinton wrote: "I totally agree. This book is rubbish."

Back the assertion up.

message 15: by Carrie (last edited Apr 29, 2013 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carrie Ayman wrote: "Why? I backed up my assertion and you didn't even have the courtesy to reply."

Not to you, to Quinton. And, I have what is known as school. I have absolutely no time on my hands.

message 16: by Ayman (new) - added it

Ayman Teaman I got my reply now, thanks :)
Good luck at school.

message 17: by April (new) - added it

April Why is everyone being so horrible?! It's their opinion, they wouldn't know if they like it or not if they hasn't read the book! And you have no right to tell someone to kill themselves, that's just ridiculous.

message 18: by Nithya (new)

Nithya Lame

message 19: by kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

kat Anyone who wrote a review or comment about this book being bad, you are wrong. End of story.

Karla Avelar George had a son and he named him Fred .

Michael I have to agree with much of what Lore says. For example even though I like the idea of Harry and Ginny ending up together, I think Rowling handled the whole thing terribly. Both Ginny's character and their mutual feelings for each other needed much more development.

Maddie Buckner George married Angelina and had a son named Freddie

Anika You said that the epilogue didn't talk about important things, here are some important things J.K. Rowling says that she didn't mention in the epilogue:
- George married Angelina Johnson and they had a son named Fred
- Kingsley Shacklebolt became the minister of magic
- Umbridge was sent to Azkaban
- Luna married Rolf Scammander
- Neville married Hannah Abott
- Minerva became headmistress of Hogwarts

Joanna She did not dragged the storyline. She revealed secrets after secrets. Mysteries after mysteries. Plot twists after plot twists