Lore's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
F_50x66
's review
Oct 14, 07

bookshelves: harrypotter
Recommended for: no one
Read in June, 2007

Deathly Hallows is in fierce competition with Half-Blood Prince as the worst book of the series. It is an extremely bloated book in which nothing much happens for chapters upon chapters because Rowling is dragging the storyline out -- so it can end at the end of the school year, like all the other books. Many plotlines of previous books are barely touched upon (S.P.E.W.) or "resolved" in an entirely dissatisfactory manner (Grawp, though I wasn't unhappy about not seeing more of him).

Characters who were hyped in interviews but turned out to be of little importance include Ginny Weasley, who winds up doing absolutely nothing of relevance throughout the whole book, whereas she was annoyingly and tediously present (and acting like a complete jerk) in Half-Blood Prince. Despite my dislike of this character, I had expected to see much more of her, and I was disappointed to see her true purpose was bearing Harry Potter's childrens in one of the, if not the, least believable "romances" of the series.

The book, and the series, then end with a cloying epilogue which tells us little about things that actually matter and instead focuses on who marries who, complete with precocious children (who are naturally of similar ages; so considerate of everyone to get pregnant at the same time!) and insipid names (Albus Severus, but no child named after Ginny's dead brother?). I like to pretend this epilogue, or "crapilogue" as disappointed fans have dubbed it, doesn't exist, and that the series officially ends after Harry kills Voldemort. Leaves much more to the imagination and is much more of a fitting end.

My expectations prior to the release were faily high. That turned out to be a mistake. I won't be rereading this installment any time soon, possibly not ever again.
34 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Greenly J I totally agree with you. I thought I was the only one who did not see the romance in the Ginny/Harry scenario. (See mom I am not crazy after all). I also will not be rereading it. The only thing that bugs me is how sad I got after the book was done. After years of reading the series, it feels more like a part of life not a hobby. Hmm. Great review.


Adam Wow..I really hate you.


message 3: by Catrin (last edited Aug 25, 2011 12:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catrin Wow....HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THE ROMANCE BETWEEN HARRY AND GINNY? SHE'S BEEN GIVING HINTS SINCE BOOK 1 !!!!!! EVEN I CAN SEE IT AND IM A HARRY/HERMIONE FAN !!!!Anyway nobody forced you to read this book, if you didnt like it why did you finish it? jerk !


Isabelle Just one thing- I love the name Albus Severus and the reason they didn't name a child Fred was because George had a boy named Fred.


Lily fail. no argument, obvs didnt really read the book


Faith I can't believe the idiot who called you a jerk. “If you don't like it why read it?” How are you supposed to know you don't like it unless you read it. God , what an idiot! I agree with your review by the way , the "romance" between Ginny and Harry , the plot holes , this book was a great disappointment for me.


Ayman Teaman I loved the introduction of your review 'competing with half-blood prince in terms of which is worse' = made me lol because it is so true!

I won't add more.. spot-on review.


вełłαтяıχ  ¤¤ "αℓωαуѕ." Twihard alert...


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry buddy but if you hate this book you have no taste in good books


message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

to Faith: If it was a disappointment to you maybe you read it wrong.


вełłαтяıχ  ¤¤ "αℓωαуѕ." Ayman wrote: "I loved the introduction of your review 'competing with half-blood prince in terms of which is worse' = made me lol because it is so true!

I won't add more.. spot-on review."


Please explain in civilsed terms why this novel is so "terrible".


message 12: by Faith (last edited Feb 10, 2013 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Faith Anya wrote: "to Faith: If it was a disappointment to you maybe you read it wrong."

I read it wrong? What , did I read it upside down or whilst hopping on one foot? Everyone has different opinions on things guys , deal with it.

Plus , if you would like to know why I was disappointed by it you can just read my review of the book .


message 13: by Ayman (new) - rated it 1 star

Ayman Teaman Bellatrix wrote: "Ayman wrote: "I loved the introduction of your review 'competing with half-blood prince in terms of which is worse' = made me lol because it is so true!

I won't add more.. spot-on review."

Please..."


Introduction & little rant:
It has been awhile since I read the book and I'm not one to remember much of books I read let alone one I didn't enjoy that much but I'll try as much to respond to your question in as 'civilized' manner as possible ^_^ (note to self: I didn't review any book yet on goodreads, and I should do that in the future)

[b]Answer:[/b](Contain spoilers)
- Some characters (like Ginny) who played a major part in the story had little to almost no development and were side-stepped completely.
- I'm not going to talk about the romance or partner choices in the story as it depends on everyone preference, but I find the way she tackles romance in the novel unsatisfactory; in some books, there are dozes of romance, while in others there aren't, in some there are sudden turn of events, and in some others.. the way I see it (as a writer) she has these 'plot development' points reserved & injected them in less-interesting chapters in the story to rekindle reader's interest.. simply refueling interest.
- Obviously, the end was completely off. The whole twist on Snape past, the fact he *had* to kill the principle, the fact he was a good guy, the too-much emphasis on linking Snape with Harry (be it present as teacher/student & repeatedly useless bickering between them as it doesn't add to development and way over-used, or be it the past as he liked his mother and was hated his father James..), or the fact that for such a huge character, with way too many links to Harry (more than anyone else in the book!) and whole book named & its primary plot was driven around that character, yet so miserably referenced/talked about in the last book & dies in an extremely lame way. And let's please not talk about realism in a fantasy book, because even if we were to establish realism based on the series lore & boundaries, the way Snape died was simply wrong.
- The book in general was over-stretched, and I can't cite any examples as it has been awhile since I have read it, and you being a fan and having read it more than 50 times (as indicated into your bio) may not agree. However, one thing I can say and I remember clearly is that the last book just like half-blood prince had very poor plot, and lame story.
- The fact that even in the last book, nothing at all to explain about magic.. the book in general had almost nothing on Magic, so much of a magic fantasy book.
- Out of all the books in the series it lacked cohesion (that I remember, the reason(s) I forgot). I remember I enjoyed the 3rd, 4th and 5th story the most (first two being... just plain passable with OK plot & nothing majorly exciting)

That is all I can think of now, and you can add the points mentioned by the original reviewer.

As I'm new to reading fantasy genres (specifically magic fantasy books), I can't make an extensive recommendation but I suggest you read "Magician" by Raymond Feist. at least you'll have a proper solid good story :)

I enjoyed some of Harry Potter books, they were entertaining but nothing amazing to it, and it is a bit over-hyped. I believe that most would outgrow it (I know I loved some works before and I thought they were the best, but now that I look back at them, I find them slightly above average but I didn't know any better, plus the fact that taste changes overtime).

To be honest, there are tons of books, mangas & animes out there that are much better than this series, but then again this is my personal opinion.

I hope that helps answering your question, and it was civilized (not sure what wasn't civilized in my post and wondering what being civilized has to do with this at all, was it the lol?).

Looking forward to hear your side of the story.


Quinton Hoover I totally agree. This book is rubbish.


Katie Burleson R u trying to b funny?.....


message 16: by вełłαтяıχ (last edited Apr 27, 2013 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

вełłαтяıχ  ¤¤ "αℓωαуѕ." Quinton wrote: "I totally agree. This book is rubbish."

Back the assertion up.


message 17: by Ayman (new) - rated it 1 star

Ayman Teaman Why? I backed up my assertion and you didn't even have the courtesy to reply.


message 18: by вełłαтяıχ (last edited Apr 29, 2013 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

вełłαтяıχ  ¤¤ "αℓωαуѕ." Ayman wrote: "Why? I backed up my assertion and you didn't even have the courtesy to reply."

Not to you, to Quinton. And, I have what is known as school. I have absolutely no time on my hands.


message 19: by Ayman (new) - rated it 1 star

Ayman Teaman I got my reply now, thanks :)
Good luck at school.


message 20: by April (new) - added it

April Why is everyone being so horrible?! It's their opinion, they wouldn't know if they like it or not if they hasn't read the book! And you have no right to tell someone to kill themselves, that's just ridiculous.


message 21: by Nithya (new)

Nithya Lame


message 22: by kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

kat Anyone who wrote a review or comment about this book being bad, you are wrong. End of story.


Karla Avelar George had a son and he named him Fred .


Michael I have to agree with much of what Lore says. For example even though I like the idea of Harry and Ginny ending up together, I think Rowling handled the whole thing terribly. Both Ginny's character and their mutual feelings for each other needed much more development.


back to top