Mina Villalobos's Reviews > 2001: A Space Odyssey

2001 by Arthur C. Clarke

Nov 17, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in November, 2009

I've never watched the movie -shame on me- so maybe that colors some of my appreciations on the book. I imagine a lot of the scenes in the book where written with the movie in mind, given that script and book where written at the same time, and thus seem more like descriptions of beautiful ambiance shots instead of advancing the plot in any way. Still, I can't say I didn't like those scenes, since I could picture them pretty well in my mind -which I think it's a great example of how clean and visual C. Clarke's narrative is.

The characters aren't terribly compelling, but they aren't quite cardboard cutouts either. I enjoyed the trippy star tripping quite a lot, and the narrative gave me rather psychodelic dreams, and for that I can't really complain. I sort of expected there would be more of Hal9000 given how he has permeated pop culture, but it was an interesting addition to the whole evolving and transcending of minds theme of the book.

Not bad at all, but not so good that I couldn't put it down. I loved the sort of nostalgic air it has, the rather hopeful naivety for a better future that never quite came to be.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2001.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine Oo, I have this book, but haven't started it yet (actually, I think I've temporarily misplaced it, but that's beside the point, lalala ...). I'll be interested to see what you think of it!