Beth's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Nov 08, 2009

Set in Afghanistan, this story describes the impact of political upheaval and war on a few individuals over a couple of decades. Most of the story is told from the perspective of two female characters, and what comes across is this - as awful as successive wars and the Taliban have been for that country, how much worse for women, who were basically slaves under the Taliban government. They truly had no rights, no way to leave an abusive husband, no real power to make decisions about their children, no way to act independently of male authority.

I read this book during the recent election, accusations of fraud, and questions about American involvement there. When we went into Afghanistan in 2001, people talked about the horrible circumstances that women faced during the Taliban regime, but during the coverage of this election, I didn't hear anything about women's improved rights or political participation.

But, the story is one of resilience. I liked it better than the Kite Runner probably because the relationships and interactions among characters over time interested me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.