Cat's Reviews > Guardian of the Gate

Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink

Aug 28, 10

bookshelves: arc, books-i-own, fantasy, ya
Read from June 14 to 18, 2010

I’m going to get the negative out of the way first, and I think I am one of the only people who feel this way and I offer humble apologies to Michelle in advance.
The Negative: I hate this cover. I hate the new covers. I loved the original cover for Prophecy of the Sisters and I thought it added so much to the feel of the story itself and had I not already known how much I loved the first book I NEVER would have picked up the books AT ALL had they the covers they have now. I might even go so far as to say I loathe these new covers. And I don’t mean to hurt feelings, I just don’t think they fit the story being told one bit. My one saving grace is that I was lucky enough to get an ARC at the Teen Author Carnival in NYC (where I got to meet Michelle in person – finally!) and the cover isn’t anything like this. It’s just black with viney-swirls on it and much more appealing to me.

So, there’s my rant on the covers. And now on to the better part of the review – like how much I adore this series.

The Positive: Guardian of the Gate is the sequel to Prophecy of the Sisters, which was haunting and gothic and suspenseful and beautiful. The first thing that struck me with the second book was how beautifully Michelle writes. I had forgotten how much I loved the writing style in PoS as I have read many books since, but once I picked up this book I got the same feeling I had reading the first one. I can’t even describe the feeling, it’s like being underwater and seeing a rainbow and silk red ribbons all flowing in the breeze. That won’t make sense to you but it’s a mish-mash of that to me.

I did not find this book as suspenseful as the first. I was not on the edge of my seat the entire time ready to jump out of my skin at the next creepy surprise but there was this connection to the adventure and the quest to reach the secret island. Mostly I just loved the dialogue and the description – and I HATE description!

I like where this series was taken and where it is going. There were a couple of “reveals” that I guessed fairly early on, but it wasn’t off-putting at all. I tend to have decent hunches about books and movies so it wasn’t something that was glaringly obvious pretending to be foreshadowing. I was pretty proud of my correct hunches though, I’ll tell you.

This book was also as beautiful on the inside as the first one was. I was worried about that what with the cover changes and all. Also? The ARC I had smelled wonderful! Sort of sweet like candy mixed with book. I don’t know what glue they used for binding it, but it just made the book all that much better for me. I sometimes read with my nose it would seem.

I am rather sad that I have another year to wait for the third (and final?) book.

Michelle Zink is now a 100% auto-buy author for me. Sequels are always tricky, but she kept up the beauty of the writing and the story in this second book and therefore passed the test. Her way with words is like a painting coming to life. Brilliant. (HA! HA! I just noticed in my review of PoS I ended with a mention that Michelle might just have become an auto-buy author for me! I guess I just fulfilled my OWN prophecy!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Gate.

06/15/2010 page 75
21.0% "I forgot how much I love the way @MichelleZink writes. Beautiful!"
06/17/2010 page 291
83.0% "Not enough book left to take to work with me, so starting new one today!"

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lol! I've done my part!

MZ

Myranda I have to agree with the second half of this review, and disagree with the first because I did not like the first cover. It was the second cover that was more appealing to me.