Shanon's Reviews > The Dead-Tossed Waves

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

May 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010, audiobook, dystopia-apocalyptic, zombies
Read from May 24 to 28, 2010

I had some real issues with The Forest of Hands and Teeth mostly revolving around my extreme dislike of the main character. Usually disliking a main character is a deal-breaker for me and it is lucky for me to even finish the book let alone read a sequel. Luckily, the world building in The Forest of Hands and Teeth was amazing. I wanted to learn more about how civilization came to such a state, what was going on with the secretive sisterhood and everything else I could about the world Carrie Ryan created. I was hooked by the world and not the characters.

Dead Tossed Waves is about Mary’s daughter, Gabry. I found her to be much more likable than Mary, though not necessarily a lovable character. She came across as whiny at times and I would be sorely tempted to reach through my book and slap her if it was only possible.

There is much more information about the zombies (aka: Mudo) as well as the fate of Mary’s home village, Gabry’s history and the sisterhood. I am even more intrigued by this world. I will be eagerly awaiting the next book in this series.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead-Tossed Waves.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Terry Johnson shannon, I feel the same way. I've just bought it. I felt the first one was well written, but i didn't care for the characters, especially the mc. Her choices bothered me. But still a good author.

Shanon Terry, I'm curious what you'll think about Dead-Tossed Waves. I found it much less frustrating than the first book. I hope you like it as well!

Terry Johnson oh, I loved it! So much better than the first. I think it had all the great elements of the first - evovative writing and intrigueing premise, without the annoyance of Mary and her selfishness.

In fact, on a recent trip to the big city, I drove under the cement highway ramps and had to blink away my visions of them being covered in zombies. Now that's a good book!

great review!

Shanon I have visions of The Road when I'm on roadtrips. Creepy nightmares more than visions I guess.

That highway overpass scene was great! I get shivers just thinking about the sound of the "water." Next time I'm near a stream or river I'll be sure to listen extra carefully to see if it could sound like moans.