Sophie's Reviews > As Meat Loves Salt

As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann

Nov 08, 09

bookshelves: fiction, lgbt, historical-fiction
Read in November, 2009

This is an excellent book. A historical novel set during the English civil war, it's an absolutely engrossing read. It's also very, very dark, and the story really got under my skin. The two main characters are both appalling and appealing at the same time.

I picked it up after it was recommended on some m/m list, and indeed the relationship between the two men is at the heart of the book. But it is not a happy romance, no, far from it. But it was breathtaking to read - I don't recall ever reading a book where mere looks between two characters felt this erotic.

Reading the book, though, you know everything is doomed from the start (believe me, this is not a spoiler), which makes it both hard to read and impossible to put down. The language is amazing; it pulled me in from the very first sentence.

And even though reading it hurt, hurt badly, I am very glad I read it, because like it says in a review included at the front of the book, this is a book that stays with you for a very long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As Meat Loves Salt.