Jessica's Reviews > As You Like It

As You Like It by William Shakespeare

F 50x66
Nov 08, 2009

liked it

Eh. And I never thought I'd eh about Shakespeare. The play's dialogue is witty with Shakespeare's trademark puns, the identity confusion makes for some good laughs, and some of the quotes are famous. However. The play seemed like a rehashing of Twelfth Night only not as good. I also found the characters lacking in common sense and any motivation that can be associated with human behavior. The evil characters are evil because...just because. Young women run into the woods and for whatever reason do not try to find their relative who is known to have made his home in those VERY SAME WOODS. There is no sense that fathers and daughters are even acquainted with each other in the play. It's bizarre. And then everything gets resolved by deus ex machina sleight of hand. Bad guys magically see the error of their ways and repent of their misdeeds, and this all takes place off-stage. The most crucial moments of the play happen off-stage. It's the equivalent of cutting from Romeo and Juliet's wedding scene to a stage set with mourners who relate that the lovers have fallen prey to a series of misfortunes and are now dead. That's probably something we should have been allowed to see for ourselves. Anyway, As You Like It scores high on word play and abysmally on character and plot development. And yes, if it weren't Shakespeare, I probably would have rated it lower, but just thinking about doing so hurts my little lit-loving heart. Some might call it chickening out, but I call it giving the benefit of the doubt. Ha! Now there's a rhyme worthy of Thayer. Or not. Probably not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As You Like It.