Jenna's Reviews > The Secret of Joy

1332085
Dec 02, 09

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in December, 2009

I was lucky enough to receive this book in the giveaways, and I read it as soon as it arrived.

I really enjoyed this book. It explores the very convoluted issues of family, cheating spouses, friendships, break-ups, and marriage, but does so in a believably light-hearted manner. It circles around one of the most delicate issues of all; a child born as the result of an extra-marital affair and how that impacts two women who, until recently, never knew the other existed.

I enjoyed the characters and found them to be believable (well, except maybe the hunky hunkaman Theo- he seemed a little too perfect, but I still liked imagining him all the same!); especially Joy Jayhawk. I liked that she was cranky and moody. I liked that she wasn't all happy-happy to meet her sister and find out about her biological father. I enjoyed taking that journey with her.

The dynamic between the two women, Rebecca Strand and Joy, was, I think, intense and believable. I found the dichotomy if their views of their shared father interesting. Watching Rebecca explore her feelings about her father and what he did, trying to understand his motives, and how that plays into her life today was satisfying for me, the reader, as she finds a measure of closure both with her father, his past, and her present while at the same time she painstakingly builds a relationship with the irascible Joy.

This book was refreshing and sweet. I'm glad I was given the opportunity to read it.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Joy.