Michael's Reviews > Ghost Star Night

Ghost Star Night by Nicole Kimberling

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: gay-fantasy, gay-fiction, gay-mystery, gay-supernatural
Read in November, 2009

What a great little adventure. What a wonderful world. What a fantastic and imaginative author. Nicole Kimberling has done it again.

The first book I read by Nicole was Turnskin and I loved it. I was eager to read another book by her and this popped up on my radar. I’m so glad I made the purchase.

Nicole creates a world that I could easily imagine existing right outside my front door. Regardless of where you are in the world imagine your current gov’t is interlaced with royalty and wizards. You talk on your cell phone while magic protects your city. Souls can be traded, owned, interchanged between species, stripped down to one characteristic and even destroyed.

Ghost Star Night is a story that is always in motion. There are three main characters whose lives are intertwined and guided by fate. Thomas, a closeted magician who is forbidden to practice magic. Drake, one of the most powerful magicians in the land. Adam, godson to the grandmother of a newly born princess. The story flows seamlessly back and forth from character to character, a wonderful dance. There are times that you can tell what is gonna happen, but it seems totally natural and plausible. For example, Tom will send Adam to get something and you can guess he’ll run into Drake. Or, an act of kindness by a character – which totally seems in character and you have no reason to suspect anything, it’s actually a manipulation by an outside source.

The romance that develops between characters is very believable and quite nice. The sex scenes are sexually charged but not graphic. Not “fade to black” more like a one page statement of fact with descriptive foreplay and then “they did it, what they did and who did what”.

I’m very upset that I read this book so fast. I wanted it to last much longer.

If you have read and enjoyed A Strong and Sudden Thaw (Future Earth’ish world after a global climate change...with Dragons) or An Arrow's Flight A Novel (Earth during ancient Greece/Rome era with cash machines and some modern technology) then I think you’ll love this book.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Star Night.

message 1: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Great review, Michael! You should write more of them. :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review!

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Wonderful review, Michael! :)