Anne Sanow's Reviews > The Whiteness of Bones

The Whiteness of Bones by Susanna Moore

Nov 07, 2009

How could I have never rated this one before? It's one of my favorite coming-of-age novels, and one that, despite its imperfections, is nearly impossible to get out of my head. (For one thing, it contains one of my favorite and most pitch-perfect lines of dialogue ever uttered by a character. Mamie's aunt Alysse on fashion: "Do underdress; it makes other women look older and vulgar.") Perhaps this one persists for me because I so admire the way that Moore doesn't adhere to the expected and wanders in her narrative. The reader isn't coddled or pandered to, and there's a jagged kind of potency here as a reward.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whiteness of Bones.

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve An outstanding novel.

Anne Sanow Glad to see that Moore has some fans for this one -- it's almost a forgotten classic.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve I read it when it first came out, and loved it. What prompted me in the first place was a great review by Jonathan Yardley (Washington Post). I tried to find a link for you, but couldn't. It's hard to believe that it's somewhat forgotten, because it deserves a wider, and ongoing readership. I'm placing it on my 2d readings shelf.

Bibi Rose "A jagged kind of potency": great description!

Anne Sanow Thanks, Bibi! I still feel that way whenever I re-read this one (as I do every few years or so). Sometimes imperfect is, well, just right.