Miss_otis's Reviews > Little, Big

Little, Big by John Crowley

Jul 26, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-or-fantastical, au
Read in January, 2007

I tried to read this but just couldn't slog my way through it.

The jacket copy sounded really intriguing, but I didn't get halfway through it. The biggest problem I had with this book was that I felt tried far too hard to be Airy and Phantasmagorical and Mystically Vague and forgot that a plot was actually necessary. It wanders and doesn't actually get anywhere, the prose was overstuffed, and not a single character actually caught my attention. I was disappointed, beause it was a very interesting premise, but the author just didn't pull it off, IMO.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little, Big.

Elentarri Agree with your review. I had to read one silly romance, 4 almost romance books and 3 fluffy kiddies fantasy books before facing the second half of this book. And I don't like romance books.

message 2: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason the back and forth, coupled with a style which i thought weighed it down killed it for me. i may approach it when i have a long period of time.

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura You don't "slog through it". You go deeper into it. :) You could try again.

message 4: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Something about the writing style was a bit..... Older in style. No that isn't right but it was different in style and tone