Mr. Z's Reviews > Hello, Goodbye, I Love You: The Story of Aloha, a Guide Dog for the Blind

Hello, Goodbye, I Love You by Pamela Bauer Mueller

1928892
Nov 07, 2009

Read in November, 2009

"...I feel there are far more tragic circumstances than blindness. We can still love, and with all the sight in the world, the absence of love would form a handicap too terrible to imagine."

It fascinates me how books - merely inanimate objects of paper and print - can transform a reader's heart, imagination and perception of what is possible. "Hello, Goodbye, I Love You" rang my heart chords often and left me feeling inspired to see the beauty in everything, big and small, and everyone, loved one or stranger. Pamela Bauer Mueller presents a fluid story of supporting family, overcoming tragedy and, in Diego's case, loving a dog enough to let it go. Diego is a teenage boy who has undertaken the task of training a puppy, Aloha, to become a guide dog for a blind person. Along the way, he learns what it means to love and to be loved. More importantly, he is able to do something meaningful for someone who will never be able to fully repay him.

As a dog owner who knows just how much my dog (or "little boy," as my wife and I refer to him) means to me, I found this story to be moving and meaningful. Beyond relating to Diego's emotional attachment to Aloha, I also found the story to be a potential learning tool for other readers to appreciate that blind people can see, feel and live a lot more than many people judge them capable. After reading this story, I predict readers won't "see" certain things and situations the same.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello, Goodbye, I Love You.

11/07/2009 "Pamela Mueller is an acclaimed Georgia-based author. I'm eager to read this story about a teenage boy and a guide dog for the blind."