Wendy's Reviews > The Devil You Know

The Devil You Know by Louise Bagshawe

May 17, 08

bookshelves: 2007, womens-fiction
Read in October, 2007

This was my third Bagshawe, and I enjoyed it far more than the previous two, which I found a tad formulaic and predictable. The happy ending is never at issue, but Bagshawe stretched herself a bit more on this one and had three protagonists rather than one, and the work echoes with homage to Archer, Krantz, Steel, et al., whose names she cites in the work anyway. There is the usual "ugly duckling" heroine, and the immensely sexy man who loves her, and everyone ends up married, but there is also a lot of cleverness and fun and psychology in among the romance.

I thought it odd (or perhaps found it annoying), however, that the descriptions of what the characters eat, drink, and wear are laden with brand names, especially in the case of the British protag, who gets out the Tetley and makes a cup of tea, as if making a cup of tea isn't simply English enough. There is Cristal champagne, L'Occitane bath products, Pratesi (?) sheets, Boots makeup, Donna Karan & Chanel clothing, Jimmy Choo & Manolo Blahnik shoes, blah blah blah whatever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil You Know.