Kathy Roderer's Reviews > Poppy

Poppy by Avi

Nov 07, 09

bookshelves: modern-fantasy-and-science-fiction
Read in November, 2009

This book is the first book by Avi that I have read. It caught my eye, because of the owl on the cover. My class recently dissected owl pellets and learned a bit about owls, so I thought this may be a fine read aloud for my third grade class. Poppy, the main character, is actually a mouse. The owl in the story, Mr. Ocax, is the bully and antagonist. Due to disobeying her father's strict rules, Poppy's best friend, Ragweed, is attacked and eaten by Mr.Ocax early in the story and Poppy just misses being eaten as well. The plot centers around Poppy's need to make amends for disobeying her father as well as to confront Mr. Ocax. Another interesting character is Ereth, the porcupine. At first Poppy is afraid of Ereth, but soon befriends him and seeks his help in her mission. Simply told, and easy to understand, the story is, nevertheless quite an adventure as we witness Poppy's brushes with danger. She is a brave, intelligent, and honest little mouse. I plan to make this my next read aloud because it is an exciting, well-told story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poppy.