Ryan's Reviews > The Museum of Mary Child

The Museum of Mary Child by Cassandra Golds

819178
Nov 07, 09

This was a strange book for me to pick up - libraries aren't quite the same as bookstores in terms of book fondling, but I still do it. Sometimes I pick up a book that just feels like I should read it - sometimes it works out well, and this one did.

The story is very Dickensian only without the factories, though there is a Prison and Madhouse. I felt the time and place of the story to be 1848-ish, and possibly that Scrooge might be hanging out in the next town over. Even with this suggestion of a when and where, there was a sense of unreality - I wasn't sure about timelines of events. It also has a fairy tale flavor, only you don't know who the princess is or where the prince is. And the evil fairy isn't really evil, just sad and full of self-hate but you really don't know that either - its more about feeling. The author lets you feel things like loneliness, and the confusion of moving from isolation to being surrounded by people who love you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Museum of Mary Child.