Suzanne's Reviews > Messenger

Nov 08, 07

bookshelves: youngadult-fiction, audio-books
Recommended for: Fans of The Giver
Read in October, 2007

The third (and final?) installment of The Giver books. The Giver was more uptopic/dystopic worlds, Gathering Blue had a Sci-Fi feel, and this one was more fantastical. I enjoyed it very much.

One complaint: if I met the reader on the street (I audio booked it) I would say, "Hey guy, SLOW DOWN! St. Elsewhere has been cancelled; what are your rushing off to?"

Addendum: The more I thought about this book since completing it, the more annoyed I became. It just ends so abruptly. What happened? I know what happened, but what happened next? Why was forest angry? What were the people exchanging at Trade Mart? What was up with Mentor? And now everything is just ok? What about Kira's community? What ever happened to the Singer? I'm dropping this to 3 stars but did consider going down to two. I am not satisfied with the conclusion at all. The only community where we had closure was Jonas'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messenger.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cherice Couldn't have said it better myself. My same sentiments exactly. I just didn't get it. It seemed like the plot was building and building and then.....The end. I didn't understand Mentor's role either. Thus I gave it 2 stars.

Erin The people were exchanging their personalities, the good parts of them, in exchange for being able to play the game. One woman even went so far as to trade away her children's health. I'm sorry it's been too long since I've read it to explain Mentor, though.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim People at the village all had deformities or shortcomings of some sort. They were trading parts of their soul in order to get rid of them.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Some also sold parts of themselves for goods as a sort of consumerism=evil theme.

Melodie Cuevas Uhh there is a last book and it's amazing :D the son!!! REad it :D

Randi I agree. There were a lot of holes in this book and many things that could have been elaborated on especially since the book was so short. Why was the forest sick? Why was it thickening? What was up with the Tradesman? Where did he come from and go to? What happens with Jean? I am about to start the last book "The Son" so I'm really hoping that the rest gets explained in this book.