Kareena's Reviews > Reading Lolita in Tehran

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

Oct 19, 07

Read in October, 2007

This was a tough read. I suppose I would have appreciated it more if I had read all the books that were referenced in this one. And if I studied literature, studied the meaning of every scene, every characterization, every image from the books, I might have appreciated it.

Unfortunately this was much too deep and a serious study of literature. I enjoyed her accounts of life in Tehran and the characters in her book. I enjoyed her personal accounts and her life stories. Unfortunately true life was weaved into the fiction from novels i've never read, so I couldn't appreciate her insights and found her writing high-brow and much too seriously intellectual for me to read it without zoning out every so often.

The middle parts of the book go into depth about her background and her life experiences which I found the most interesting. The beginning and end delve far too much into the literary world. I suppose if you're a serious student of literature this book is a gold. But me being a casual reader, it was hard to swallow.
28 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading Lolita in Tehran.

Veronica I'm halfway through it and I have the same thoughts as you. I might have only read a handful out of all the books that are referenced in her memoir.

Jayme I agree. I tried to make it to page 30 but within the first few pages I realized her haughty tone was removing me from this book.