Michael's Reviews > Storm Runners

Storm Runners by T. Jefferson Parker

Nov 15, 09

Picked this up immediately after reading Parker's latest, "The Renegades", which I thought was terriffic.
I found it not as good but still somewhat interesting. The plot and characters don't come off as believeable as "Renegades" did and the story got a little hokey.
This book involves a San Diego County Deputy sheriff, Matt Stromsoe, who was severely injured by a bombing attempt on his life by a boyhood friend, Mike Tavarez, turned "El Jeffe" in La eme, the southern California Mexican mafia, who ends up in prison. These two guys were a high school band drum major and clarinet player respectively and Tavarez went to Harvard after high school- not too believeable given where they ended up! I think Parker was playing with this one.
Stromsoe's wife (who had been Tavarez's lover before marrying Stromsoe) and child were accidentally killed in the explosion and he was blinded in one eye and maimed. He takes a job working as a body guard to a TV weather forecaster who also is working to develop a rain-making process which a shady manager of the LA Dept of Water and Power are trying to get from her by force (Holy "China Town"!). In the process they go through his old enemy, Tavarez and his gang connections, to help get him out of the way. See what I mean about believeability here?
Nonetheless, Parker's colorful writing style make this a worthwhile read for die-hard crime novel fans

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Runners.