Rebecca's Reviews > 102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers

102 Minutes by Jim  Dwyer

Nov 10, 09

bookshelves: historical, non-fiction, 2009
Read in November, 2009

This book looks at the attacks from the point of view of those inside the two towers and their fight for survival. It also covers the technical aspects of the building structure, the codes that that they were built to and some of the communication issues that hindered the rescue process. It made me think, what would I have done in the same situation? Do I really know the evacuation process and routes in the buildings I work in? What would I need to be able to do to help a co-worker with a disability?

For those who say there is too much finger pointing – if we don’t learn from the areas which failed or the inadequacies in the building code how can we ever move forward and limit the impact if something like this ever happens again. Those who died deserve better from us.

The most emotional part is the last chapter - obviously becuase we know the ending and we can put two and two together on what happened to those who hadn't made it down by a certain point. But I honestly don't think this book was as emotionally charged as others I have read. Horrible things happen to innocent people all around the world, this wasn't an isolate occurance. For me the book kept it's emotional disatance because I don't think it ever points out that someone was dead or about to die - you weren't given such an intimate look, which suited the style and purpose of the book.

There are some extraordinary stories of what others did to help people they didn’t even know escape inside the building (in some cases losing their own lives in the process), would I be that willing? Or would I be so blinded by fear that I couldn’t move? (A reasonable response if you ask me).

Yes, the deaths would have never occurred if the terrorists had never run into the buildings, but how many lives could have been saved by better communication with emergency personal, improved safety procedures and accurate structural codes? The real question is however how many of these lessons have been implemented to protect other high rise buildings built to the same code? How many of us have thought about what information we should be finding out and becoming familiar with so we could cope better in an emergency? What have we learnt as individuals from this without ourselves being impacted in such a horrible way as the survivors, rescue teams and families of those in the world trade centres?

A good read if you weren’t personally affected by the terrorist attacks and if you want to become more aware of what can happen inside a building when emergencies occur.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 102 Minutes.

11/09/2009 page 134
34.9% "Interesting look from inside the buildings as well as a look at the building codes and other safety aspects"