Leeanna's Reviews > Blood Bound

Nov 06, 09

bookshelves: i-own
Read in November, 2009

Mercy Thompson #2: Blood Bound, by Patricia Briggs

Owing a vampire a favor can be a very dangerous thing, as Mercy is about to find out in this sequel to "Moon Called."

Stefan comes to Mercy in the middle of the night, needing the special defense against magic that being a walker provides to her. He is going to meet with another vampire, but fears that the other vampire may be able to manipulate his memories. Stefan's fears turn out to be right, leaving Mercy the sole witness to a dangerous bloodbath. The other vampire turns out to be a sorcerer - a magic user possessed by a demon. And he's been busy killing.

Though Stefan and the werewolves tell Mercy to stay out of it, she knows she can't. Especially not when one of her favorite werewolves, Warren, is severely wounded by the sorcerer. But how can one little coyote face off against a demon-vampire?

In the second book of the Mercy Thompson series, Briggs introduces us more thoroughly to vampires. Her vampires are much like those of legend - they can't go out in the light and sleep during the day, some have superpowers, and they can be killed by using a stake and burning the body. But Briggs' vampires also keep menageries - humans that have willingly agreed to be vampire food. Stefan is probably the most atypical vampire - he drives a van painted like the Scooby Doo van and is kind to his menagerie; he's experimenting to find how vampire blood can help blood-borne illnesses. But the rest of them...well, I'd be scared to meet them in full daylight, let alone in the dark.

"Blood Bound" fleshes out more of Briggs' supernatural world populated with werewolves, vampires, fae, and more. I didn't think it was quite as captivating as "Moon Called," but it was still a very solid book, with lots of action and an intriguing plot that will keep you reading. I'm a little over-saturated with vampires, that may be why I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first book. But don't let that keep you from picking this up, as the story in "Blood Bound" will keep you bound to the pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Bound.