Auntee's Reviews > Demon from the Dark

Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole

Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, i-ll-buy-for-the-cover-alone, part-of-a-series, 2010_reads, tortured-hero, husband-worthy_hero
Recommended for: Fans of the series
Read from September 23 to 27, 2010

Loved it loved it LOVED IT!!! One of the best books in the whole IAD series--and I know I say that all the time, because I love most of the books in the series. But something about this one really appealed to me, and I'm guessing that 75% of it is because I really fell for the hero, the hunk-a-licious vemon (part demon, part vampire) Malkom Slaine. Ahh, what a tortured hero he was...sympathetic, lonely, proud, humiliated, protective, possessive, innocent in many ways, down on himself...and so in need of a friend, a lover, a person who he could trust who he could give all the love in his great big heart...I just wanted to grab him and squeeze him and give him all the love that he deserved!

Typically, the book started out a little slow for me. Not the parts about Malkom, but the parts about the heroine, the (former) party-girl witch named Carrow Graie. Every time I start one of these IAD books I try to rack my brain remembering where the series left off. There's so many characters to keep track of---the demons, the witches, the vampires, the valkyries, the werewolves and all the assorted creatures of the Lore, that I waste time trying to remember who's with who romantically, who's friends with who...I wish KC had some kind of family tree that I could refer to to keep everything straight! But after a while I stopped stressing over it, and decided to just throw myself into the book, and I'm glad I did.

The basic plot is that Carrow (as well as some other immortals) is captured and held prisoner by some mortal group known as The Order and taken to some remote, impossible to locate island far, far from her home in New Orleans. The Order is made up of scientists and soldiers intent on studying and destroying immortal evil-doers. They want Carrow to go to some place called Oblivian (a hellish, desolate, demon plane) and use her powers to lure the powerful vampiric demon Malkom Slaine to them. If she's able to accomplish this in 6 days, they'll release her and the recently motherless 7 year old child/witch (Ruby) that she's intent on adopting. If not, Ruby will die.

So Carrow bravely enters Oblivian, seeking out this so called evil, barbaric giant (over 6 and a half feet tall) named Malkom. I don't want to give anything away, but I felt like this was the best part of the book. Carrow has to find a way to communicate with this almost Neanderthal demon-man, get him to trust her, and lure him back to the other side. But she's in for the shock of her life when she finds out*************spoiler*******that she's his fated mate! Eventually they find a way to communicate, she uncovers his secrets about his lonely, horrific, tortured past, and she finds out she's verrry attracted to him--not only physically, but emotionally too. Carrow has some secrets from her childhood that make her understand Malkom's isolation and loneliness all too well. What to do? She knows she's going to have to betray him, and she's torn up about that--she really cares for him and rather likes the idea of being his mate. Everyone in Malkom's life has betrayed him, but if she doesn't get Malkom back to The Order, she'll never see Ruby again. What will Carrow's decision be?********

There is so much good stuff in this book! First of all, there's plenty of humor as always--lots of pop-culture references in this one--typical one-liners tossed off by either Carrow or the supporting characters to break up the tension. There's lots of mayhem, some gore (ugh! The creatures in Oblivian...) and suspense too. But the best part of the book was the relationship between Malkom and Carrow--the sexual tension was off the charts! Ahhh, the reciprocal bathing scene in Malkom's lair in the mine shaft...when Carrow cleans him up and really gets a look at the pierced, tattooed Malkom for the first time...whew! This was one hot book!! Things just get better from there, when Carrow starts to have deep feelings for Malkom, yet Malkom is afraid to trust his heart and believe that something good could finally happen to him. It just about killed me when Carrow was forced to betray him...:(

Fans of this series--this is a no-brainer. You have to read this one. I dare you not to fall in love with the brute-with-a-big-heart Malkom. In a lot of ways, he reminded me of Zsadist from JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. I loved this guy, loved his sweet and gentle relationship with young Ruby, loved the passion he shared with Carrow, loved seeing his whole transformation from destructive, feared warrior with nothing to live for to gentle-when-he-had-to-be, proud, compassionate giant with a reason to hope and believe that there's a better future for him. I think Kresley Cole hit it out of the park with this one, even if she left us hanging just a little at the ending. I don't think she's quite finished with Malkom and Carrow yet, and I look forward to checking in with them in the next book (Dreams of a Dark Warrior). 5 BIG stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon from the Dark.

09/23/2010 page 9
2.0% "Shades of Zsadist...?" 12 comments
09/25/2010 page 118
27.0% "Carrow's got her work cut out for her..." 2 comments
09/26/2010 page 184
43.0% "Whew! Hot!"
09/27/2010 page 430
100.0% "Outstanding--couldn't put it down!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathrynn Check out the new ACRO book , too. :-)

Auntee Ooh, sounds good! That's another series I have to get back to.

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I really liked this book. I can't wait until the next one though!!

MelissaB Great review Auntee! I loved this one too! I felt so bad for Malkom.

Penny Watson Great review...I felt the same way about this book...finally one that is as good as A Hunger Like No Other. Malkom reminded me of Zsadist, too. Except Zsadist had the brothers, and Malkom had no one. It made his relationships with Carrow and Ruby that much sweeter.

Eastofoz This was definitely one of her better ones :)

Auntee Thanks ladies!

Malkom was a tortured soul, wasn't he? I immediately thought of Zsadist. What a sweetheart he turned out to be.:)

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness Great Review Auntee!! IAD is such a fan-figgin-tastic series!!

message 9: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Auntee!

Auntee Thanks Rane and Sam!
I keep forgetting how much I love the series and KC's writing style.:)

message 11: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Oh Auntee, I'm so glad you joined us in this book's fan club!!! I absolutely loved Malkom myself; he's an amazing hero and one of the best in the series. And I liked that Cole actually made me feel just how sorry Carrow was to have to betray him and how she came to care for him, although her party girl style did not appeal to me initially.

Great book! This series now tops Singh's as my favorite PNR series by far.

Auntee He was easy to love, wasn't he?:) I liked Carrow too. Sometimes her heroines get on my nerves a bit, but I liked her a lot.

Lynsey A Great review, Auntee! I loved, loved, loved this book too! Malkom was such a great hero! This is definitely one of my favorites in the IAD series!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Excellent review! I'm so glad you liked this one so well. I haven't started the series, but it's one of my NYR to read.

Auntee Thanks Lynsey and UM!
UM, I highly recommend this series--the heroes are awesome!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I picked up this book today at Target, before I start my New Years Resolution of no book buying unless it's a series I already follow. Then I remembered I didn't HAVE to buy it today, because I'm already following this series. So I was explaining my reasoning to my daughter and she said, "Look, mom. You're not going to buy a years worth of books before January, just so you can keep your resolution!"

Heh. Heh. Heh. She knows me so well.

Auntee Have you read any of them yet, UM?

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I accidentally read Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole out of order and was so confused I hadn't planned to read any more. But, people keep telling me I should.

Auntee Oh I can see how you'd be hopelessly lost doing that! I'm always a little lost with each of the books anyway since I can never remember where they left off!:D

The first book "The Warlord Wants Forever" (included in this anthology-- Playing Easy to Get Playing Easy to Get (Includes  Immortals After Dark, #1; Vikings Underground, #3; B.A.D., #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon is probably my least favorite, but they get better and better after that.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I have them all, except 8&9. I don't know how I ended up getting them since I didn't plan to read anymore. LOL!! Anyway, I plan to start this series next year as part of my clean up the already own books.

Wow, I have big plans for 2011, don't I? LOL

Auntee Ha! I know how that happens!
Well you're all set to go--and if you end up liking it, you can always pick up 8 & 9!

message 22: by Buggy (new)

Buggy Fantastic review Auntee and you said the magic word fans of "Zsadist" I'm in

Auntee Thanks Buggy!

message 24: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Fantastic review and I totally agree with everything you've said.