Jeanette's Reviews > Reading Lolita in Tehran

Apr 08, 10

bookshelves: book-club
Recommended to Jeanette by: jennymae60@gmail.com
Read in April, 2010

I have finished reading "Reading Lolita in Tehran" for a second time and found the memoir as compelling as the first read. Once again, I regret not having read all of the novels which Nafisi discusses with her students in this book. I also wished I could be part of that class. I'm considering making notes of the comments and her interpretations of the novels discussed and using the notes as I read the books her students read.

Nafisi has woven the difficulties of being a women in revolutionary Iran with the discussion of the novels which also were also being criticized for their content by her religious students, mostly male. Although the suppression of women's rights and the limits placed on their lives would have made a depressing read, Nafisi was able to show that there were ways women could defy the regime. The classes in her home for a select group of intellectually curious women who loved literature was one of these ways. I was never quite sure what the role of her "magician" was in her life unless he played the same role for her that she did for her "girls."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading Lolita in Tehran.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aban (Aby) (new)

Aban (Aby) You and I have very similar tastes! I loved this book.

What made me feel so humble was that Western literature was (is?) being taught at Tehran University. Which of our Western universities includes great Eastern literature at 'set reading'?

Aby