Annalisa's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Oct 13, 2007

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, movies
Recommended for: everyone! please read this series
Read in June, 2003 , read count: 4

Some of my favorite moments happen in book 5: occlumency, Snape's worst memory, the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort, finally a formidable death eater (Lestrange), Dumbledore's Army, the dementors attack, the evil manipulations of Umbridge, and of course, the fact that Harry, finally, was wrong in his rush to conclusions and did not save the day but needed rescuing himself. Such a good book.

But strangely enough, I wouldn't consider it my favorite. My complaint about this book is how much it dragged in the beginning. I get the importance of introducing the house of Black and Order of the Phoenix, but still too long. Get to school already. What Rowling is excellent at is painting a picture of detail while still keeping you interested so you never know which minor incidents are going to comeback with major importance. It makes the books unpredictable. This is one of the few times in the series where I wished she'd cut out the detail. Little did I know how important those details were.

At first read, I was disappointed with her writing. I felt she was tainted by the release of the movies, writing movie scripts instead of imaginative tales that could never come to pass on screen. But reading the series over again, I could not pinpoint my initial reaction so maybe it was me who was tainted. And then I heard that she waited so long to release this book because the series had hit worldwide fandom never before seen in children's literature and she was scared. I can respect that. I'll take all those years of tortured waiting for perfection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Quotes Annalisa Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure.”

J.K. Rowling
“I DON'T CARE!" Harry yelled at them, snatching up a lunascope and throwing it into the fireplace. "I'VE HAD ENOUGH, I'VE SEEN ENOUGH, I WANT OUT, I WANT IT TO END, I DON'T CARE ANYMORE!"
"You do care," said Dumbledore. He had not flinched or made a single move to stop Harry demolishing his office. His expression was calm, almost detached. "You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.”

J.K. Rowling
“The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing.”

J.K. Rowling
“The mind is a complex and many-layered thing, Potter... or at least, most minds are...”

08/01 marked as: read

Micheline I agree, many of my favorite moments are in OotP but I definitely wouldn't call it my favorite book. Like you I like the book more now that I've re-read it, and I couldn't pinpoint what was my issue with it in the first place... And you're right, hardly any little detail JKR writes about ends up being pointless. It usually comes back right when you least expect it; which I why I feel re-reading the series is so much fun :)