Annalisa's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

542037
Oct 13, 2007

bookshelves: young-adult, classics, fantasy, movies, middle-grade, cover
Recommended to Annalisa by: Dayne
Recommended for: everyone! please read this series
Read in June, 2001 , read count: 4

I was hooked from the first chapter: a whole new world and Rowling drew me in, had me believing this strange underground magical society. The book holds the winning formula for a great children's story: good writing, a likable/relatable protagonist, an evil antagonist (several actually), the funny side kick (sadly I did not appreciate the full comic relief of Ron until Rupert Grint's excellent interpretation on film), the brain, the ignorant rival, the complications of relationships, even intriguing minor ones, the quest, and of course good conquering in the end.

I admire Rowling's appreciation of her position of role model. She encourages education, morality, good will and humanity, and fairly clean vocabulary (and only mild swearing by the 17-year-olds) instead of resulting to cheap trips to sell books. In light of the entire series, it amazes me how complex even the first book is without you even realizing it. I have never come across such a detailed imagination and coupled with an ability to write and draw the reader in, it is no wonder the series has been so explosive and returned children to the passion of reading. JK Rowling is my idol.

If for some reason you live under a rock or are resisting the mass media appeal of this book, please give it a try. Don't judge us Harry Potter fanatics by the first book. And never judge us by the movies. Having said that, I don't know how I would read this book if I picked it up post fandom. It come with huge expectations so you almost want it to fail. In book one, you can hardly see why it has become so well loved. When I read this book, I liked the story enough to continue, was a moderate fan by four, but didn't consider myself a die-hard Harry Potter fan until I completed book six and caught a glimpse of her vision. Some of the best fiction I have ever read; it's worth the read.

In this book you are reading the carefree story of an ordinary boy about to embark on an amazing adventure in an undiscovered world. It is fun, enjoyable, and every boy's dream. Although this book is intended for eleven year olds, it has way more adult appeal than any other juvenile fiction I've ever read. But that's not what the story is really about. When you get to the end of the series, come back and read it again. Now it is the story of a loving headmaster with the difficult task of preparing an innocent boy for every level of sorrow until he must make the ultimate act of bravery. Now you can read it as an adult. How a simple story can be two completely different novels is impressive and shows the depth of the story.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Quotes Annalisa Liked

J.K. Rowling
“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

J.K. Rowling
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

J.K. Rowling
“The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”

J.K. Rowling
“There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Alexis Elder I like how you said this book is for adults too because it is a very complex book.

Jossi I agree with what you said about the second time you read it. You get a whole new meaning of every action made by Dumbledore and everything said by him. And it has a very complex continuity you don't even realize until the very end. All the little pieces come together to form the most fantastic world ever thought