Lola4's Reviews > Summer

Summer by Karen Kingsbury

Sep 27, 10

Read in November, 2009

Summer was my favorite of all the Kingsbury books I have ever read. I have a great deal of ambivalence about Karen Kingsbury books. Generally I find the stories soap-operaish, juvenile, often contrived and unrealistic, and full of factual error that shows inadequate or indifferent research. Often I find the characters immature and get disgusted when 30-ish Christians respond emotionally and hurtfully to a contrived difficulty with the maturity of a 13-year old. They do way too much emotional reacting and not enough pro-active thinking--she makes Christians seem like idiots, when I actually have found most Christians in my life are quite mature and competent individuals. However, when the characters finally do get around to thinking, forgiving, seeking answers in prayer, Scripture, and counseling, we suddenly have a book worth reading--they just take way too long to get there! I might recommend her stories and writing style to adolescents and young adults, but for someone who's been around the block a few times, the characters' often silly, stupid, obnoxious, and mean immaturity can get very annoying. The Bible lessons she works into the solutions to her problems are so right-on and really touch me where I live. So, hate her soap-opera, dragged-out writing/love her spiritual insights. Just for the Bible insights, I will probably continue to read her books, even if I have to skip over parts where 30-year-old professionals are reacting like hysterical adolescents with IQ's of 25.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer.