Lori Rumore's Reviews > Sweetheart

Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain

Nov 12, 09

Read in November, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Sweetheart is the second installment of the Gretchen Lowell series by Chelsea Cain. I read this book because I read the first one, Heartsick, and enjoyed it. I wanted to discover the further adventures of Archie and Gretchen. Unfortunately, Susan, girl reporter extraordinaire, was also back in the sequel. Why am I supposed to care about this character? She is only out to get the scoop and to whine about her many bad decisions in her life.

Anway, Sweetheart is a pretty good book, probably deserves 2.5 stars, right up the very end, that is. Here come the spoilers. I was able to suspend my disbelief until the part where Gretchen manages to escape again by using her delicate little hands and arms with her silky blond hair flowing in the wind to drag a grown man across the floor to use as a human shield, then scrambles out the door to run away into a raging forest fire. I just kept thinking why didn't Henry just shoot her as she was getting up from the floor? It just seemed like there were several opportunities for Henry to stop Gretchen for good but he just stands around pointing his gun at her like an idiot. It was really obvious that this ending was in place just to facilitate the publication of a third book. Which is fine, but I think there are many more plausible endings that still would have let Gretchen escape.

Sweetheart was a quick read and I would recommend it with the warning that the ending is not quite up to par.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetheart.

11/06/2009 page 19