Yas's Reviews > Postmortem

Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell

Dec 29, 09

bookshelves: crime-fiction, i-own, series, american-or-canadian, reviewed, great-but-still-not-a-favourite
Read in December, 2009

This book was brilliant.

This book centers around a series of strangulations and rapes, four in total of which Kay Scarpetta and Pete Marino are attempting to solve. Alongside this storyline, a sub plot also exists, someone is leaking information to the press and Scarpetta is getting all of the slack, she also has to try and get to the bottom of this to clear her name.

This was a good debut. I liked the storyline and the sub storyline, it made the book multi layered in a fashion. Also unlike most criminal novels which stick to just talking about the crime and solving it, this book also goes into detail about various relationships of Scarpetta [niece, partner etc:] and also about life outside merely the medical office. I liked this because I felt it made the characters more human.

I shall definitely be reading the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Postmortem.

12/25/2009 page 40
12/26/2009 page 210
51.98% "This is brilliant. Will defo be reading the rest of the entire series!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Ooo, I need to read this one. Have you read anything else from the series? I made the mistake of reading a couple way on down the list, and you really miss a lot when you do that (in this series for sure).

message 2: by Yas (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yas Ooops sorry Kelly I missed this comment! I havent read any other ones..yet, I deffo will be though!! Im going in series order from now on for sure!

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly No problem Yas :) I hope to read this one soon, because I could tell from the other 2 I read that this is a great series (the beginning ones, anyways... people have been saying that her newest ones pretty much suck). I liked reading about the lives of the characters.

message 4: by Yas (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yas Yeah and thats the probs with not reading it all or reading it in order, like you say you miss stuff. I like her stuff cause its got some personal elements in it as well, like about her and her family, its not just crime. Ii have heard from about book 7/8 that they go downhill but thats a general opinion I guess and I'll probably still give them a try! If your saying the ones you read were good, gotta be worth a go!

message 5: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I read #6, #7, and #10 but it's been a few years. I've heard about the same as you, that they start going downhill around #9 or so... or that #9 is the first one that isn't so great. I'm excited about the beginning of the series though! Can't wait to get to them!