Natalie 's Reviews > Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

1969199
Jul 17, 11

Read from July 08 to 17, 2011

Review will be posted on the blog on 7/19/11.

In a Sentence: Linger is a beautifully written sequel that introduces great new characters and further develops the ones we met in Shiver.

My Thoughts

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Maggie Stiefvater has an absolutely fabulous style of writing. Her words in both Shiver and Linger are very poetic...sometimes almost lyrical in nature. The way she phrases and describes things in Linger makes for a vivid and easily imaginable world. Stiefvater's way with words was one of the reasons why I enjoyed Shiver as much as I did, so I was glad to see that the writing was just as good in Linger.

Linger has a different feel than Shiver, largely because of its introduction of two new main characters. Isabelle (though we met her briefly in Shiver) becomes much more important in Linger. Ever since she found out about the wolves and witnessed her brother's death, Isabelle has had a hard time coping with her life. She's become a much darker character...one who constantly fights with her parents and looks for ways to forget about her past. It's pretty obvious that she blames herself for her brother's death, and this has completely changed her as a character. Stiefvater does a wonderful job with illustrating the pain (and subsequent avoidance) that plagues Isabelle after Jack's death.

Equally damaged is Cole, though he copes with his pain in an entirely different way. He comes off as cocky, arrogant, and heartless, but as the novel progresses, we get to see more of the Cole that lies beneath the facade. Because of their mutual attempts to avoid their painful memories, Isabelle and Cole end up being two sides of the same coin, so to speak. I loved the interaction between these two characters. Though they frequently drove each other crazy, and while they're both way too damaged to handle a real relationship, it's obvious that they share something deeper than just attraction. It's that empathy that can only occur between two people who have truly experienced suffering and are able to recognize that same suffering in another person. It creates a bond that is not necessarily love or affection, but something that is nonetheless extremely powerful. I'm interested to see where Stiefvater takes this relationship in the next book!

Finally, as in Shiver, I enjoyed the relationship between Sam and Grace. Though these two characters are only teenagers, Stiefvater does an excellent job of making me believe their all-encompassing love for one another. Sam and Grace seem to be mature beyond their years, a trait that I think is exacerbated by all of the stressful, adult-like situations they are forced to deal with. A lot of strain is put on their relationship in Linger, as Sam becomes accustomed to living life as just a boy and not a boy who sometimes is a wolf. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Grace spends a lot of the novel trying to conceal the changes that are beginning to take place in her. I won't comment much on what happens because I don't want to spoil it for those of you who haven't read the book yet, but I can safely say that we learn more about the mechanics behind the wolves shifting back and forth between animal and human, which creates all kinds of new problems for the characters. Overall, I really enjoyed Linger, and I look forward to reading the final installment in the trilogy, Forever!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.