martin's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Nov 05, 2009

Read in January, 1984

I read this a long time ago and was prompted to add it to my books simply because I heard someone raving over the vastly inferior TV version of the story. (If you can get hold of it, listen to the radio programmes as they are excellent!)

I didn't expect to enjoy the radio series - it was recommended to me by all the "wrong" people (friends who were perhaps not "cool" enough to be people I would listen to when in my teens/twenties). I also wasn't sure that sci fi humour was my kind of thing. I like dystopian novels and I like creative fantasy worlds but extra-terrestrial Monty Python..... Not sure..

As it turned out I loved it and the first book was as much fun. Somehow not seeing the characters and being forced to imagine them is usually far more satisfying than having to live with someone else's visualisation of them in TV or film (just think Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins)

Anyway, Hitchhiker's Guide is not really sci fi - it's clever, comedic and bizarre but in the end it's really just some of the more inventive 1970's / 80's humour in a slightly new setting (and with multiple heads...). Read it for fun, don't take it seriously and don't expect Asimov or Wyndham - after all a key character is named after an old Ford car model....!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.