Gemma's Reviews > The Outsiders

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Nov 05, 09

** spoiler alert ** This book was pretty good. We had to read it for school, so I thought it might be kind of sappy, but I really liked it. The characters were great, the story was pretty good, and the whole poor 50's guy thing was something I hadn't heard of or read about before. It book would have been awesome, had it not been for the ending.

It's one of those award winners that people rave about, so I figure somebody in the book is going to die. Usually, that's just how it works out for award winners.

But I can't deal with TWO people dying (actually three, counting Bob). Johnny, well, from the moment he was introduced as the kind, sensitive vulnerable best friend, I guessed that he would be the one that would die, even when they were at the movie theater, before the plot had come in.

But Dally dying? Robbing a grocery store, then getting shot down by the police? NO!!! Just wham! Johnny dies, and then Bam! There goes Dally. It has totally and completely absolutely ruined it for me. And he died on purpose! Suicide (except he didn't actually do the job of killing himself; the police did it for him)! (Sob) He was my favorite character... I'll never be able to read this book again, look at the cover, even think about it, without remembering that my favorite character dies.

How is death something that makes books good? Because it ruined this one for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsiders.

message 1: by H99 (new) - rated it 5 stars

H99 I'm commenting late (late by 3 years), but we read this in my class, and really, the deaths SHOULD be in the book. Someone would have died eventually, but Dally for sure. It's the best-case scenario for the book. You could have had Bob not die, and Johnny die in the park, and Dally kill himself, possibly after killing a Soc. You could have had Soda be married, and....the book goes out of proportion. So, really, though Dally is awesome, he would have died sooner or later, but instead of Johnny, Two-Bit, Soda, Steve, or Darry might have gone with him.

Gemma I'm sure you're right; I wrote this review a really long time ago, and thirteen-year-old me was freshly devastated by the death of a fictional crush. I think I was also operating under the idea that only one major character is allowed to die in books and movies. If I read it again now, I'm sure I'd be able to see it your way; it really is unlikely that a guy like Dally would live past fifty. Still, his death really upset me, and I felt the need to voice this distress in my review.

message 3: by H99 (last edited Dec 13, 2012 05:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

H99 "If you were to revisit the characters from The "Outsiders as adults,where do you think they'd be today?
I always say I'll never write a sequel, so I have no grand scenario planned out. Soda was killed two weeks before his nineteenth birthday in Vietnam. His friend Steve came back from Vietnam a heroin addict and he's been married twice and divorced twice. But now he's a drug counselor. Darry owns a successful construction business. Ponyboy is an expatriate writer. He writes mysteries under the name P. M. Curtis."
-SE Hinton, from this interview:

message 4: by H99 (new) - rated it 5 stars

H99 Soda, too? *sob* Why coudln't she have written a sequel?

message 5: by Gemma (last edited Dec 13, 2012 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gemma I guess I like that she didn't, because it leaves the end open to interpretation. Even if she has her own ideas about how the lives of the characters go down, readers can still imagine the characters taking whatever paths they want, and to an extent, their imagined ending has as much validity to SE Hinton's. However, once she publishes that ending, every different ending every reader has dreamed up over the years is voided and replaced with the author's ideas. I feel like when a story is ended properly, readers have the opportunity to draw some of their own conclusions.

Gemma And if you really want to go there, I'm sure there's fan fiction :)

message 7: by H99 (new) - rated it 5 stars

H99 Fan fiction...yuck. One of my friends came up with the worst ending possible for each character, so I guess that's why I want a sequel...then I find out that Soda would probably die anyway. At least Pony and Darry are happy.