Julie's Reviews > I Know This Much Is True

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

419381
Oct 13, 2007

The storyline feels authentic as we flash between the growing years of the twins, Thomas and Dominick. In his twenties Thomas develops schizophrenia, and his brother becomes the caretaker after their mother's death. Dominick does not undertake his task lightly. In fact, it dominates his entire life. However, Dominick is not so much a victim as the survivor trying to find the light of day. He has mixed feelings about their mother, who seems to favor the more sensitive twin, Thomas. The only father figure for the boys is their stepfather, Ray, a man who is verbally and sometimes physically abusive, especially to his wife and Thomas. As they grow, the twins are confused in finding their manhood, in some part due to the passivity of the mother. Born with a harelip, she is self-effacing and often hides her mouth behind her hand. When Thomas is institutionalized for amputating his hand in a misguided sacrifice to stop the Gulf War, Dominick tries vainly to free his twin from the bureaucratic mental health system. Dominick also works closely with the psychiatrist treating Thomas. The psychiatrist not only tries to help Thomas, but tries to make Dominick aware of the shackles his life has placed upon him.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know This Much Is True.