Lori's Reviews > NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children

NurtureShock by Po Bronson

Feb 04, 10

bookshelves: parenting
Read from January 23 to February 04, 2010

NurtureShock is the first parenting book I have read in awhile. I devoured the baby books (especially before the baby arrived...back when I slept and ate like a normal person.) I 'referenced' the toddler books...every few months a new stage, issue or milestone would pop up and I would want to get a handle on it. But, once we navigated the Terrible Twos and the psychological death march that is potty training, I kind of backed off on the Parenting stuff and indulged myself with a lot of novels.

So, I am overdue for a parenting manual and this one whetted my appetite, once again, for the better examples of this genre.

This was a great choice. Bronson touches on a potpourri of topics, all tied together with the common thread of: What? We've been doing this all wrong?? --NurtureShock turns a lot of parental 'conventional wisdom' on it's ear and brings data from newer research to the table. Some practices that modern parents believed were nothing but beneficial to their children have turned out to be...surprise!...not so helpful after all.

Bronson addresses the goal of raising completely color blind kids, he takes on the merits of educational television programming for young children and lying, rebellion and other common stress points are covered. All of these subjects are given a fresh spin. Some of the information is practical. Some of it is eye opening. Reading the book has convinced me to take action in a few areas. I am storing some of the other suggestions for later. And, like with any parenting book, I find myself less convinced other issues.

Parenting books can be polarizing. Parents are exhausted and overwhelmed and often quite touchy about their parenting style. As with any other book that seeks to give constructive information and criticism to the methodology of raising your children, bring an open mind to the book and you will learn something of value.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NurtureShock.