Tami Roberts's Reviews > Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst

Nov 06, 09

bookshelves: pb-same-artist
Read in November, 2009

K - 3rd (Read Aloud/Silent Reading)
Cruz used a simple, black and white cross hatching to illustrate this book. The attention to detail makes the drawings more life like than most black and white picture books that I've seen. The clutter Cruz drew in his illustrations represent Alexander and his personality very well. The untraditional placement of punctuation that Viorst uses is very child-like. She does an excellent job of conveying Alexander’s outrageous emotions. She uses a couple phrases over and over, the repetition of these words make the book fun and display Alexander’s childishness in an extraordinary way. All children can relate to Alexander’s feelings throughout this book and be reassured that we all have bad days. This is an excellent read aloud book to be shared with all primary grades.
Geography/Language Arts
Lesson Plan: Study Australia and traditions there. Compare and contrast their way of life to our own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.