Kate's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Nov 10, 09

bookshelves: good
Recommended for: anyone thinking of getting involved in restaurants, including eating in them
Read in October, 2009

Apart from the fact that the proof-reader seemed to have disappeared halfway through the book, leaving errant commas scattered across the remaining pages, inexplicably dividing verbs from their direct objects, this is a very entertaining and surprisingly well-written book. I say surprising because the author's day-to-day vocabulary, by his own admission, consists mainly of a Spanish/English/French/Italian blend, the profanity-laden crude pidgin language of professional cooking. But that posh upbringing and his time at Vassar must have done some good, because this book was a pleasure to read, even when it was depicting the more unpleasant of the realities of a restaurant kitchen. I enjoyed the whole thing so much that I think I might track down the updated version, just to see what's going on ten years down the road in the lives of the characters (the real people, I suppose) of Bourdain's varied career.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.