bookczuk's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Nov 29, 09

bookshelves: vampires-ghosts-and-other-creatures, audio, thank-you-charleston-county-library
Read in November, 2009

We listened to this on the drive to and from the mountains for Thanksgiving. Would be curious how the audio compares to the book, which was portrayed by an excellent cast: including the author, John Turturro, Mark Hamill, Alan Alda, Carl Reiner, Rob Reiner, and Freaks & Geeks mom Becky Ann Baker. I liked that there was no major explanation as to how the actual disease that transmits zombie-hood actually started, but that the story delves back into my lifetime and integrates into another alternate history that could occur, so that it wasn't set in some improbable future. (that's a helluva sentence, but forgive me. I'm typing on my iphone.

Anyhow, Mark Hamill and the Reiners were great (expecially Rob's character's name "The Whacko", the supposed VP of the U.S.) Mark Hamill apparently does a lot of voice-acting or whatever it's called now, and was decidedly un Skywalker-like. And the author, Max Brooks, reads the role of the author here, too.

This was an abridged version, so I'd be curious to see how it compared to the written book. Some editing quirks were noted -- things that might read well, but when spoken were obvious that folks wouldn't speak that way.

All in all, a good listen for a car-ride. I'm pretty sure I have relatively few survival skills for the Zombie era, unless I read them to death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.