Brian's Reviews > Cold Sassy Tree

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns

M 50x66
Nov 05, 2009

Read in November, 2009

Overall, this is a very good story. I have only one complaint which is why it did not receive 5 stars, but after I explain that, I will praise the many outstanding qualities of the story.

The story does tend to lag in places especially with Will Tweedy's mother and aunt. In the story, the two act as the background setting for the time period. Everyone in the story does set the time period for the reader, but these two are especially the radical end of the spectrum with the aunt foremost in that respect. However, in trying to show the reader the mindset of the south in this time, the author tends to let the story lag somewhat allowing the reader to become agitated and wanting to flip to the next page.

Conversely, there are a million reasons that you should want to read this book against that one very poor reason not to. The main character is often quite funny in a very unintentional way. Will Tweedy is not a goofy character but is very down to earth; however, the character does misunderstand certain important things due to being 12 years old. The author uses this to make a few funny remarks about the importance adults can put on very unimportant things. The other characters do a fine job of supporting the main character, and this is a great story to get lost in as you meet the community of Cold Sassy. I highly recommend this to anyone especially to anyone from a small town who can truly appreciate the setting and the individuals in a way those from other areas might not be able to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Sassy Tree.