Amy's Reviews > Past Imperfect

Past Imperfect by Julian Fellowes

F_50x66
Dec 22, 09

Read in December, 2009

I chose this novel as I like Julian Fellowes style, and have enjoyed various television interviews etc, however I did find this at over 500 pages a little long winded.

The narrator tells the story of how he receives a letter from an old aquaintance, Damien Baxter, a very rich man, who needs him to track down a possible heir as Damien is terminally ill. This transports the narrator back to his youth, where he was privilaged and considered "good stock" and frequented, parties, the races and balls etc.

It was enjoyable to read about this kind of life, but I did not understand why our narrator remains anonymous - is he Julian or are we the reader to assume his identity? The book is not a thriller or anything along the lines of Rebecca for example, where this tactic adds to the suspense. I think if i had known the identity of the narrator I could have related to him more than i did.

I gave this book three stars, as on the whole i enjoyed the style of the writing and ultimately is has a happy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Past Imperfect.

12/04/2009 page 268
64.42% "Still plodding on - am quite enjoying this book now, although has taken a while to get into it."