PurplyCookie's Reviews > The Girl with the Silver Eyes

The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: childrens-books, fantasy, read-growing-up
Read in November, 2009, read count: 3

I read this book as a child--at what age, I'm not sure. What I do know is that I never forgot this story. Maybe that's why I was greatly saddened when I found out this was missing from my bookshelves. Was I ever ecstatic upon finding it once more at a recent book fair I attended! It was like bumping into an old friend.

It explores the adventures of a girl named Katie, who has paranormal powers. People don't like Katie because of her silver eyes and because she's always around when something odd happens. Katie feels so alone, she decides to try to find others like herself. She discovers three children born to friends of her mothers who share her extraordinary abilities. However, some people are after Katie because of her powers.

"The Girl with the Silver Eyes" is a wonderful novel for girls or boys who are worried about being different. The message of the book rings loud and clear: people are mean to those they don't understand and they are afraid of what they don't understand. The author frankly states that many people hate people who might seem "better" than them simply for existing and that they scare people. She portrays Katie's uniqueness not as something that is a flaw with her--however others might treat her--but as something of value.

The writing is clean and engaging, and allows us to fully enjoy the fascinating story as it unfolds. This was an excellent novel, apart from one flaw. The ending left me wondering about what happened to Katie next--there should be a sequel.

Book Details:

Title The Girl with the Silver Eyes
Author Willo Davis Roberts
Reviewed By Purplycookie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl with the Silver Eyes.